Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 21, 2014 - Redwood City

Hola mi famila tan Hermosa! We had a great and busy week this week with lots of changes dues to transfers. More than half of our zone got transferred so things will be a lot different this next transfer.

 No one in our apartment got transferred but after 5 transfers as an STL, I have now been released. I was officially an STL longer than anyone else in our mission so far! It was bitter sweet to be released. I'll miss being able to work with all of the sisters but I definitely felt a burden of stress lifted off of my shoulders when I got the call. When I told my companion that I was being released she said, "Ah man! I liked being the STL's companion...it was like being the prophets wife!" haha she's so cute. Even though I'll miss being able to work with the zone leaders and president so closely, I'll be able to focus more on our investigators and training sister Baird. Everything happens for a reason :)

Another exciting thing that happened this week due to transfers is that one of the sisters I trained (sister champlin) will be training this transfer! According to cheesy mission traditions we call trainers "moms/dads" so I got a text from sister champlin the other night saying, "youre going to be a grandma!" I told her to learn from all of my mistakes and that she'll do a thousand times better than I ever could, and I know she will!

Well, this week my companion and I were called to repentance on a busy street in the middle of a crowd of people. I'm sure it was quite entertaining for all around! We approached a man and asked if we could share with him a  card about Jesus Christ. As soon as he recognized that we were Mormons he started saying horrible stuff and he got louder and louder the more he yelled. We didn't say a SINGLE word but he walked away SO angry and told us that we better repent before it's too late. Poor sister baird looked so scared so I put my arm around her as we walked away and told her that some days as a missionary are just hard but not to worry. But anyone who gets that angry over two young girls trying to share a card about Jesus Christ has a long way to go. To finish off the day we spent 2 hours pulling turkey meat off of parts of the turkey that I didn't know were edible at one of the local food banks. I will never ever ever eat turkey again. No one ever said that missionary work included dissecting turkeys!

But we had a lot of good days last week too. One of them was with the granddaughter of Jose Luis. (By the way, 3 of his granddaughters and his wife all came to church this week!) Anyway, we were teaching the kids about the restoration and we asked them if they had any questions. Jocelyn (8yrs) raised her hand and sweetly said that she had a question: "Why don't we learn about this stuff in school?" It was a question that I didn't have the answer to. I told her that we should but I wasn't sure why we don't. Then I told her to ask her teacher haha we'll see what the response is!

Speaking of Jose Luis, we had dinner at his house with his family last night. They're all progressing really fast! Jose Luis is leaving for Mexico to renew his visa and he's not sure when he'll be back. I doubt the family will get baptized while he's gone so unless they get baptized before he leaves, I don't know if I'll be around for their baptisms. But we'll keep working with them! Jose Luis is one of the few people I've met who obeys visa rules and we believe in living the laws of the land so I know he'll be blessed for his obedience.

I wanted to share something that finally clicked with me this week about the worth of a soul. I had always heard that the worth of a soul is great in the sight of god. I realized that every soul has the potential to become like Jesus Christ. That's our goal right? But I didn't realize the impact that ONE soul really can have. And because of one soul, one perfect person even Jesus Christ, all mankind here on earth will be saved from their sins and physical death. No wonder the worth of every soul is so great to God. Every soul has the potential to do what Christ did. That's billions of souls saved just because of one soul. I wish I would have understood that sooner!

Anyway, I am so grateful for the opportunity of being a missionary. I know the lessons that I'm learning will stay with me to help me throughout the rest of my life. I hope everyone is doing well back home. You're all in my prayers and I love you all!

Have a good week!
Un abrazo,
Hermana Billings

No comments:

Post a Comment