Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21, 2013 - Gilroy


Hola familia!
 
We had a really good week. Amber and her son picked August 17 for their baptismal dates. Her son would and could get baptized sooner than that but Amber wants them to do it together and the soonest she can get married is in July. After they decided on that date Amber couldn't stop smilling. We had already said a prayer but before she left she asked if we could say another kneeling prayer. She has been doing so awesome. She's starting to make a lot of big changes and her kids are learning a lot. Plus they all love church. This last Sunday their dad helped them get ready for church and according to Amber, this is a huge improvement on his part. She keeps telling us how bad she wants her husband to learn these things too. Keep them in your prayers! On Sunday a member from the bishopric invited the missionaries and Amber and her family over to their house for dinner. It was so nice of them to include her and her kids. Everyone had a really good time too. But I think Amber brought mocha coffee cake for dessert....oops. I didn't eat any of it but does that still count as against the word of wisdom? Also, my granola bars say sugar alcohol in the ingredients. Is that against the word of wisdom too?
 
Have all of my pictures been coming through? I'm surprised that my camera card isn't full yet because I have over 500 pictures on it. I'll print some out and then I think I'll send my card home pretty soon to get the pictures saved on a disc or something. I also need to send home a box of stuff that I want to keep but that I don't have room for anymore. We moved apartments this week and I realized that I have a LOT more stuff than I originally came out with. I don't know when or how I got it all. Speaking of moving apartments....our new one is so new and nice and wonderful! We spent about 2 days cleaning out the other one and it was even worse than we originally thought. 10 plus years of elders living there definitely showed. But now we have 2 bedrooms, new carpet and new roommates :) Here's our new address: (only the apt number is different)
 
8200 Kern Ave Apt B104
Gilroy, CA 95020
 
My companion had advanced orientation on Friday so I got to spend about half a day with a sister who is waiting for her visa to go to brazil. I spoke in Spanish and she spoke in Portuguese and we could actually communicate with eacother! Well and obviously we both speak English but I was surprised how similir it is to Spanish. It also sounds very French and it's BEAUTIFUL! I made the goal to learn Portuguese when I get home.
 
 
Anthony is still making a lot of progress and came to a youth fireside with us on Sunday. He's concerned about his family not making the decisions that will take them to the Sun kingdom with him. But he prays for them and is setting a really good example.  They've noticed a change in him though. He goes to school now for one. He still hasn't talked to his parents about baptism but he said he tells them everything we teach them and they think it's really good that he's interested in this stuff but they don't have interest themselves.
 
Here's another funny but true story about  the power of faith.....just before coming over here we stopped by a house to visit a referal that someone in the stake presidency gave us. We were too scared to get out of the car because there was a big German Sheppard right outside our door. It was my companions turn to pray so I told her to pray that the dog would go sit under the tree far away from us. She said "okay hold on I need to get some faith" and right when she said that the dog started walking towards the tree. After her prayer the dog was still over by the tree so we got out of the car. Tender mercies :)
 
We had another funny encounter with an animal today...we were on a ranch or farm type thing looking for another referal and I was about 30 feet ahead of my companion talking to a lady when I hear my companion make a little squeel. I turned around to see what was going on and a huge pig was running full speed towards her. It just sniffed her, like a dog would. But it made me laugh.
Before I forget....I made some new years resolutions at the beginning of the year but I've just about completed all of them so I wanted to ask you return missionaries (dad, scott, justin, ellice, matt, amy etc.) for some ideas of goals that you wished you would've set while you were on your mission??? I'll appreciate any and all ideas!! Thanks :)
 
Well I hope everyone has a good week and I'll talk to you again soon! Love you all
 
Love, Hermana Billings

No comments:

Post a Comment